lundi 11 mai 2015

iDrive Music Collection hard drive: advice please

I am wondering if any of you use this feature and, if so, could you share with me your experiences of it? I am asking because I have 32.43 GB of music on an iPod Classic (the one with a mechanical hard drive). My new 2-Series BMW does not make it easy to connect this now discontinued device; I can hook it up to the Aux and USB sockets in the center storage compartment but no data can be displayed or manipulated via the iDrive control screen and it is very awkward and distracting to fiddle with the iPod inside the center compartment. I have some music on my iPhone 5 and can avoid Bluetooth by connecting this device directly to the car's speakers (and iDrive functionality) via USB but this music selection is, of necessity, small compared to what is available on the 64 GB iPod.

For this reason, I figured I'd investigate putting my entire music collection on the hard drive provided by BMW for this purpose. However, I am a little leery about this and would appreciate confirmation of the following assumptions:

- I can upload all 33 GB from a USB thumb drive. Does the engine have to be switched on for all this time and how long might it take? Will it upload when the car is in motion?

- I assume I will just upload all the music from my PC's hard drive in the folders labelled by artist, with the album title folder inside that and the MPEG-4 audio song files themselves inside the second folder? Or is it necessary to strip out the MPEG-4 files (that would be a laborious business)?

- Uploading my music library to the car's hard drive would not involve iTunes but iDrive will be able to read all iTunes audio output formats plus MP3?

- If I do the upload right, using the right file format, this will enable the files to be shown alphabetically, and be scrolled/selected via the iDrive controller screen?

- What is the best way to update this music collection in the car's hard drive as I update it on my PC? Just drag over new folders to the USB stick and upload?

I would appreciate your advice. Doing this is a large undertaking. Not uploading the data in the right format in order for the car's system to be able to play back the music and display it via iDrive would be a huge exercise in frustration that I would rather avoid, many thanks.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire