jeudi 30 octobre 2014

BMW PS + Dinan + M3 Bits Review

So I just got around to finishing up the install. My Suspension is a hybrid of sorts but still sticks to OEM/Dinan components:


  • BMW Performance Suspension retrofit kit (shocks, front sway, bushings, etc.)

  • Dinan springs

  • Dinan camber plates

  • M3 control arms

  • E93 M3 front sway bar

  • 1M front strut bar




Before I continue further, let’s keep this thread on topic, not why Dinan is better/worse than X brand or Dinan vs. X brand thread. I have AST 4100’s + Vorshlag camber plates + H&R sways on my Z4 track car and the car handles like a dream. But I wanted something more “civilized” for my daily driver.



Why did I go with Dinan spring and PS combo?


  1. Dinan springs were marketed as same drop as PS but 1/3rd less in cost with current promotions

  2. I didn’t need adjustability that comes with Koni’s so why pay for it?

  3. In addition to shocks & front sway, PS is an entire kit which includes new dust boots, spring pads, bump stops, etc. This felt like better value

  4. The PS included a front sway which I didn’t need since I already had the M3 bar so I was able to sell the PS bar to lower my overall cost






PS Kit Contents Sans Yellow Springs







Dinan (left) vs M-sport (right) Rear Springs









Initial impressions - The Good



Back in my VW days, I did a lot of combinations of aftermarket springs, stock / aftermarket shocks. The best result was H&R OE (not to be confused with Sport or Super Sport) mated with Koni dampers. Billsteins were too rough for my liking and Eibachs were too low. But even then the car felt too stiff, dash squeaks began to develop after a month? I’m sure early 2000 VW build quality had something to do with it but nonetheless the car was not comfortable. The PS / Dinan system for the 135i is nothing like this.



As others have pointed out, the best way to describe the Performance Suspension (PS) is that it adds confidence to your driving experience. Yes, you feel more of the crash and bumps BUT the shocks handle the road imperfections with better composure. What would unsettle the car very noticeably is now less dramatic as the bumps are better absorbed. Now when I hit a rough patch, it feels like a series of tiny bumps as opposed to something more jarring.





No Bads but things you should know…



Lowering the car adds camber, duh. However I now have too much camber for a daily car. Prior to the drop, I was at -2.0* front and -1.7* rear with m3 control arms & Dinan plates. With the springs installed, I’m now at -2.7* front and -2.0* rear. The issue is that I have the 1M strut bar which really limits front adjustability despite the pins being taken out. So I’m pretty much locked with that front camber setting. Rears have adjustability but I figured if I’m stuck at -2.7 what’s the point of trying to go conservative in the rear? These alignment settings would be awesome for an auto-x or road course but for daily, it’s a bit much. I don’t expect my tires to last very long. So for anyone else who wants the PS with a practical alignment setting that’s still performance oriented, I wouldn’t bother with fixed camber plates nor the 1M bar. The drop from springs + M3 control arms + strut pin removal would get you to above -1.0 but below -2.0.



Aesthetics



Because I have the Dinan camber plates, the fronts are lowered only ¼” instead of the ½” while rears do drop the full ½”. I actually don’t mind it as it gives the car an even stance instead of something more raked. Not to mention, I don’t worry about ground clearance which was why I went with the PS to begin with. It was never about slamming the car. One thing to note is I also am running upsized Michelin PSS (225/40 and 255/35-18).



Side profile



Before





After





Front Fender



Before





After





Rear Fender



Before





After





Not sure if springs really do "settle" after a few days but I'll post more pictures later this weekend.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire