vendredi 31 juillet 2015

BMW M2 Coupe is a BMW 1M evolution in a new jacket

The last few days I have started to question all the information that has been released so far. Last night I sad down and read most of the latest news and topics on this forum about the new BMW M2 Coupe we are all waiting for so desperately.

I loved the people asking for sunroofs, parking sensors at the front and even a convertible version of the M2. They clearly do not have a clue what the M2 is or what it will be.

I felt that I should start to ask around at dealerships across Europe and cross check information. In the end after reading all the information something did not tick the correct boxes.

After a few days of hearing information from different sides, some things are falling into the right order now. And looking at what we have seen so far being shared on this forum I felt like writing this story.

The overall feeling I have is that we are looking at a BMW 1M package in a newly updated jacket, which in my opinion is what I wanted and we should all cheer about. The M4 is too big... It feels like a mini-M5. I want a E46 M3 sized power coupe with better handling. It needs to be in balance, like the 1M was and is. A balance between power and handling. The current M4 feels like a muscle car (sorry my intention is not to upset owners here), but that is what I felt after driving it for four weeks.

So what are I my initial thoughts...

1. The spec list shared in the past days looks real and features not much options, similar to the 1M.
2. Four colors, similar to the 1M
3. Interior set up (one type of seats and contrasting stitching) & color of stitching fits the communication color which will be LBB, similar to the 1M
4. Performance wise a bit more than the 1M, but with the boost function on the torque. Focus on handling and the right balance between power and handling, similar to the 1M.
5. Mixing the best from the M3/M4 range and the 2-Series Coupe, similar to the 1M.
6. Minimizing options to keep the weight down, focus on handling and sheer driving pleasure like the 1M

Information I gathered so far by simply searching and connecting dots...

1. The car will NOT be released at IAA.
Reason why? Quite simple... They have a tonne of other cars to show (public and European debuts of X1, 7-Series, 3-Series LCI, etc) and the M4 GTS is first at Pebble Beach (maybe it is also at IAA)! Two M releases to close to each other or even at one show is not feasible. So it is definitely not IAA, what can it be? Any guesses?

2. The first deliveries start in the Spring
People on the forum here have said deliveries start in the Spring. That would mean after the 20th of March. That is late March, early April. I got a production slot offered for March, but I have been told that could well be a bit later. So I tend to believe that early deliveries (demo cars and the happy few) might get the car in March and that the rest will get their car when production is full up and running in the Spring. What about this production date in the BMW system saying they would start in November? False info, dummy content in the computer, mistake by BMW, who knows, but it feels like a failure. It does not fit with what I heard and read.

3. Price tag
The 1M starting price was around 50-51 EUR in Germany. Looking at the competitors in the market space, like A45 and RS3, pricing for the new M2 might be slightly higher depending if your country sells fully specced cars or not. What I have seen so far is that certain countries offer fully specced M cars with not much room to remove or add options from the car, and other countries offer basic cars where you can add whatever you want. It really depends on your country. European countries more east offer more basic cars simply because the M car is already expensive in a base set up and they want to have the option to sell. Countries more west offer fully set up cars at a high price and with a ridiculous high premium.

So now let's discuss the dots even further. So what are we looking at? I feel we are looking at BMW 1M evolution in a new jacket and with even more improved handling and driving capabilities. I would just take every single aspect from the 1M, improve it and you have the M2. Just follow every single part of the 1M strategy and copy it to the M2. Of course there will be minor differences like the availability of an automatic gearbox, but I feel that overall the setup will be similar. It is a common practice with car brands lately. They take what worked before, improve it slightly and sell it in a new package. The M2 will not be any different in the general sense.

If we keep this in the back of our minds then the final release whenever it will be the next few months will not be such a downfall for some of you. Just see it as the next 1M and all that comes with it. At my side I would love to have a specific individual color, but it is not possible, so I will wrap it if I want to. Surround cameras would help me a lot on the on ramp in my garage, but it is not there I will drive up backwards. I can deal with... because I know that every corner I take with the M2 will be the ultimate M fest. :D

Do you feel the same way about this or am I wrong? If you have any more information please feel free to add it here and we come up with one story that kills all the rumors.


BMW M2 Coupe is a BMW 1M evolution in a new jacket

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire