mercredi 30 juillet 2014

Video showing "clouds of smoke" from exhaust. Bad Valve Cover Gasket or Turbo Seal

Hey guys,



After installing my AR DPs I noticed the smoke coming from the exhaust like many other N54 owners. Although sometimes my smoking seemed excessive, the written descriptions from other members were right in-line with what I was experiencing: when coasting off throttle, in traffic, etc.



Although I never searched for a video with great effort, I never stumbled on one showing what it looks like. I happen to have one so I thought I would share.



Most of the stories I read linked the smoking to high-flowing DPs and when the oem units were reinstalled, the problems stopped. This makes sense as the cats would likely burn off a lot of engine vapor but it is extremely unlikely for it to be the root of the problem.



After further inspection I noticed a considerable amount of oil leaking from the charge side of my rear turbo which can be seen in the pics below, also with the photo of the *********, notice how the rear DP is much darker inside.



It looked like a bad turbo seal to my amateur eyes so last week I dropped my car off at BMW Fremont to milk the last few days of my CPO warranty (it ends today 7/30). So far the service adviser notified me that they have replaced the valve cover gasket, that was 2 days ago, so fingers crossed they smoking persists and I will get 2 new snails out of the visit; timing would be impeccable if it works out like this. I will update this when I get my car back.



Hope this helps someone!

Evan
































Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire