mardi 30 décembre 2014

Am I the only one who isn't a GTR fanboi?

**WARNING. THE BELOW MAY OFFEND SOME READERS. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK**



I have given the GTR much thought lately, and I am trying to figure out what all the fuss is about.



I know the M3 and the Nissan GTR are in different leagues. The GTR kills the M3 in performance. Never ridden in one, so I can't really comment on quality, but I am sure they are very well made. With that though comes a much higher price tag. Brand new, MSRP for the GTR is about $30k more than the M3. Used prices are still around $20k - $30k more than a similar year and mileage M3.



All that being said, cost not being an issue, if someone came up to me tomorrow and said "you can either keep your M3, or I will give you this GTR, no strings attached, but you lose the M3", I wouldn't make the trade.



Anyone else share these sentiments?



Call me crazy, but I just don't see what all the hype is about the GTR. It's impressive. It's fast. It's probably an experience to drive one. But IMO, it's expensive, it's a Nissan, it doesn't have the same prestige as an M3, and it's not particularly attractive looking. It strikes me as an 80's Datsun that someone brought to the future in a time machine, and tried to disguise with a modern touch so they would fit in. I respect them, I just don't have the desire to own one, or ever even ride in one :confused2



The M3 turns my head every time, and I drive one every day. When I see one driving down the road, I do a 180* as it passes and stare at it. I love the body lines, the stance, the sleek styling. It is a timeless design, and will remain so throughout the years. The GTR doesn't do that for me. I see them all the time, and though I think "GTR, nice car", I don't see myself doing a double take and staring at it as it passes.



I've read many online threads where people go back and forth arguing whether or not the GTR is a "supercar" or not. I think if you consider what the typical "supercar" characteristics are (mid engine, 2 door, 2 seater, lower production numbers, typically, but not necessarily a European auto maker, massive amounts of power from an engine with at least 10 cylinders, sleek, low to the ground, sexy styling, and a high price tag) that the GTR doesn't qualify. Does it rival many supercars in performance? Absolutely, but that doesn't make it a supercar. :confused2 I may be out of line here, but it seems to me the only people that claim the GTR is a proper "supercar" are either current owners who are trying to glorify and justify their high dollar purchase by trying to make it out to be more than it really is, or GTR fanboi's who have never driven one (and are probably too young to do so legally) and only obsess over it because it's a "Skyline" (because JDM racecar!!1!)



I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a couple days now, so thanks for reading. I do feel 10x better :happyanim:



Does anyone share the same opinion as me? I apologize if I've managed to offend anyone. That wasn't my intention. Just wanted to know if anyone was in the same boat as me where the GTR is concerned, or if I am the only one on the planet who doesn't obsess over this overpriced clunky Datsun.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire