dimanche 27 septembre 2015

M2 vs. C7 Corvette

Anyone else debating between the M2 and the new Corvette?

I currently drive an E86 Z4 Coupe, which I've owned for the last 9 years. Love the car, but I'm thinking about getting something new.

Today, I rented a 2015 Corvette with a 7-speed manual transmission for a few hours to get a feel for how it drives.

What I like:
  • The Style: Looks are subjective, but IMHO, the C7 is the best-looking car you can buy for under $100K.
  • The Engine: Lots of torque, everywhere from 1500 RPM to redline.
  • The Steering: Very precise. Steering feedback is about the same as every other EPS system -- not great, but not terrible.
  • The Brakes: Amazing.

What I'm ambivalent about, but could probably get used to:
  • The Size: It definitely feels like a bigger car than my Z4C.
  • The Interior: It's actually not bad. It's the best interior I've ever seen in an American car, but the tolerances and materials aren't up to BMW standards.

What I'm concerned about:
  • The Reliability: The 2014 models seemed to have abysmal reliability. On the other hand, GM seems to have addressed most of the major problems (engines blowing up, etc.). Perusing the Corvette forums, the 2016 model seems to be reasonably reliable, at least, so far.

So, the C7 is still at the top of my list, but I still want to test drive the M2 when it comes out.

I was also considering a base Cayman, and took one for a test drive, but I found the lack of low-end torque disappointing.

Regardless of which car I get, it will be my daily driver. (My Z4C made it through the Boston Snowpocalypse with winter tires.)

Anyone else thinking about the C7 as well as the M2?


M2 vs. C7 Corvette

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire