samedi 30 août 2014

128i Brakes on the Track

I was wondering with experiance tracking a 128i could chime in on their brake setup.



I recently did my first HPDE at Gingerman Raceway last weekend. I changed to Pagid S pads a few weeks ago in preparation and bled the brakes with super blue (I know they don't sell it anymore but I had an unopened can in my garage). The Pagid Ss are supposedly good for mild track use and seemed serious enough (all the pad material deposited during bed in was wiped off the rotors within a couple days of street driving).



This was first time driving on a track (I do have a few autocrosses and a car control clinic under my belt), and I was told that stock brakes would hold up fine as a novice. By the end of my first day I had pad fade (huge pedal effort gave little stopping power) and by the end of second day I had cooked the fluid and the pedal would suddenly drop an inch or two in a couple of the hard braking zones. I had a scary moment at the end of the back straight (105-110ish mph) where a 335i was taking off way too much speed but came off the brakes just in time!



post-track analysis showed that everything got very hot! The stick on wheel weights migrated and my parking brake began sticking a week later, even though I didn't use in on the track. I ate up 65-70% of the front pads and about 30-40% of the rears. The stock front rotors are in good shape, but the rears are scored pretty badly. I also noticed that the 128i has completely closed front wheel wells! No air directed at the brakes!



Despite the fact that the brakes faded, it was a blast! I need to figure out a better brake setup before I go back to the track. My instructor suggested that I move to a full race pad. I also think I will upgrade the fluid.



Any suggestions? I'm not running super grippy tires, just 225/45 17 PSS all around. I would love to go to a BBK except they're pricey and I want to continue running 17s. I don't want to throw away a bunch of money trying different pad and other components if I really need to run a bigger setup.



Thanks!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire