dimanche 31 août 2014

Cooling Sytem Maintenance

So I just wanted to make a comment regarding the cooling system maintenance. If you read Mike Miller's old school maintenance and his thoughts about BMW cooling systems, you'll find he thinks any BMW past the E30 has lousy cooling system components subject to catastrophic failure and the cooling system should be rebuilt every 60,000 miles or so.



As I post for too much, my car now has 260,000 miles on it. Yesterday my wife and I used my car for our weekend errands, which we usually don't do. We went to the grocery store and then she wanted to stop by Lowe's to get some plants, and I needed a new line trimmer head. Well since we had cold groceries to try and keep cold we kept turns in the E90 with it idling and the AC on max cool (we decided that the plants would have cooked in the car if we went to Lowe's first). We took turns sitting with the E90 while at Lowe's so it probably was idling with the AC on for a good 40 minutes. With all this idling and max AC cooling on my 260K car, I was sure it would explode (or at least over heat); but it didn't! :happyanim: I was truly impressed. It was about 85 Deg. yesterday.



As far as maintenance of the cooling system this is it: (All DIY by the way)



- 1st coolant flush/refill at 76,000 miles

- New T-stat at 134,000 miles w/ new coolant

- New Water Pump at 149,500 miles w/ new coolant

- New OFH gasket at 161,500 miles w/ re-used coolant

- Complete cooling system hose replacement at 236,600 miles w/ new coolant. Including the heater hoses. Did not replace the radiator.



I know, "Col story Bro", but I just wanted to reassure my E90 Post Brethren, that this car we all love is pretty dammed robust.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire