mercredi 30 avril 2014

318d - all the car you ever need...

My car's gone back in (again) for a buzzing noise to be rectified.



As a replacement I have a Manual 318d Sport. It's been interesting comparing both ends of the 3 series ladder and my ultimate conclusion.



I moan in the 335d about the lack of refinement and the tyre noise primarily because of how much the car cost me. Funny thing is the tyre noise in this car is near non existent compared to my car and I'm just willing to accept slight wind noise at higher speeds as this is a £30k car and not one that retailed the wrong side of £50k.



Performance wise, it's perfectly acceptable. Okay it's not ballistic like mine but it surprised me how nippy it was. MPG I'm kicking around late 50's with ease.



Suspension wise, it's a lot nicer than my car. Just up the road from the dealer, we've got speed ramps and it doesn't wallow. For a standard setup, it's much better.



So what do I miss? Sunroof, heated seats and Pro Nav are first things that struck me. Also dipping passenger mirror to avoid curbs. Interior is cloth and actually all the better for it. I've never been a bit fan of Dakota leather and there's something rather nice about the interior with cloth in not pretending to be anything it's not and somehow the plastics work better.



And that's the thing. This car is not trying to punch above its station and is all the very much more attractive for it. I've actually really fallen in love with it.



This has brought even more dilemma in the should I/shouldn't I buy M3/4 debate as it brings home just how much money it is for a 3 series. I actually have been seeing what else my money would buy - it's been fun and eye-opening.



Yesterday was a beautiful 2 yr old V12 Vantage - monthlies worked out near identical (yes I know it's more to run). The noise!! Dear God!



All food for thought but if you've got a 318d and feel jealous about people having 335's (i or d), don't be. You're driving a damn good car and are quids in every month as well. Sounds like a smart move to me.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire